Which Linux driver and firmware for PAN9026 module

Which is the linux driver for PAN9026 module and where do i find the appropriate firmware binary for it?

Which linux kernel verison is supported or required?

We want to use the PAN9026 module with SDIO interface. In the mainline linux kernel i can find support only for marvell 88w8997 based products, not for the required 88w8977 (SDIO) chipset.

The same i can't find a firmware binary for 88w8977 sdio chip for the linux kernel on

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git

33replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Which is the linux driver for PAN9026 module and where do i find the appropriate firmware binary for it?

The Linux SW packages are only available in the Marvell XtraNet. These are Marvell full GPL (MGPL) or partly GPL driver packages. The firmware binary for the SoC of 88W8977 used in PAN9026 is part of the SW package. The SW package consist further of the driver sources (wlan_src, mbt_src, mbtc_src) to be compiled or cross-compiled for the target platform architecture and Kernel version. After having compiled the sources three Kernel modules (sd8977.ko, mlan.ko, bt8977.ko) are generated. Additionally Marvell apps like mlanutl, uaputl, and wfdutl will be generated.

++++++++
    Which linux kernel verison is supported or required?

The latest SW package supports Kernel version up to 4.13.

++++++
    We want to use the PAN9026 module with SDIO interface.

Yes, SDIO interface is supported. The interface can handle HS mode with VIOSD=3.3V and UHS mode up to DDR50/SDR50 with VIOSD=1.8V.

++++++
    In the mainline linux kernel i can find support only for marvell 88w8997 based products, not for the required 88w8977 (SDIO) chipset.

The mainline Linux Kernel distributions are only supporting the Marvell 88W8x97 WLAN/BT combo radio devices with 11n or 11ac MIMO 2x2 technology. The devices 8797, 8897, and 8997 are supported by the Marvell mwifiex Kernel device loader. The firmware binaries are stored at "/lib/firmware/mrvl".

++++++
    The same i can't find a firmware binary for 88w8977 sdio chip for the linux kernel on git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git

Yes, the firmware binaries for 88W8977 are only available in the XtraNet as part of the Linux SW package.

++++++
  • Does the software package also support Linux Kernel version 3.14?

• The latest SW package supports Kernel version up to 4.13, means also Versions of 3.x and 2.x.

• I would like to use PAN9026 module with non Linux platform, like STM32.

• Are there non Linux drivers available?
    • Does PAN9026 embeds WiFi software stack or it must be implemented on the host?
    • Where can find documentation about 88W8977 software interface/registers/etc.?
    • Does PAN9026 embeds WiFi software stack or it must be implemented on the host?

PAN9026 does not embed a full Wi-Fi stack and relies on the host application processor.

I would like to use PAN9026 module with non Linux platform, like STM32.

In order to take full advantage of the features of PAN9026 you need a fairly powerful host processor, with a (preferable) SDIO 3.0 interface, which is capable of handling the features of the Wi-Fi stack that you want to integrate.

Please carefully check if the STM32 family provides the necessary processing power and SDIO interface you want.

• Are there non Linux drivers available?
    • Where can find documentation about 88W8977 software interface/registers/etc.?

In theory PAN9026 can of course be controlled from simpler microcontrollers not running Linux, however the implementation complexity increases.

But there are no dedicated non-Linux drivers available, so your starting point would be the Marvell Linux Drivers, which then need to be ported to your target system environment.

In order to get access to the PAN9026 drivers, please contact your local Panasonic sales representative.

• Do the linux drivers also work with the PAN9026 over the UART interface?

• Do the linux drivers also work with the PAN9026 over the UART Interface?

The UART interface can only be used as Bluetooth HCI interface.

The Wi-Fi communication is always through the SDIO interface.

Up to the loaded driver SoC Firmware, the Bluetooth communication can also be done in time-multiplex with Wi-Fi through the SDIO Interface.

Following the requirements for BT over UART interface:

- install Marvell SW package "SD-WLAN-UART-BT-8977-U16-MMC-V16.68.1.p170-16.26.1.p170-C4X16544_V2" on Linux host platform

- Connect PAN9026 module pin F8 (CNTL_0) through 100k Ohm resistor to GND

- VIO voltage at pin G4 should be 1.8V

- Connect GPIO[8...11] (pins F3/F4/F5/G5) to UART Interface of host platform

- Signal level of UART interface from host should be 1.8V logical level

• Rich Trueman heollo, sir. We want to use the PAN9026 module with SDIO intrface to evaluate it's 802.11mc function by smartphone. So we want to know where can I find the driver for PAN9026 evaluate kit.

• Ralf Hostadt Hello ,sir, is therre some Marvell SW package on Linux host platform for PAN9026 evaluate kit's WiFi fuction?

• Is there some Marvell SW package on Linux host platform for PAN9026 evaluate kit's WiFi fuction?

The drivers and Kernel modules to run the PAN9026 Wi-Fi function are already installed on the PAN9026-IMX development kit (Order number ENWF9201AXEF).

The PAN9026 Quick Start Guide for the PAN9026-IMX you can find here:

https://pideu.panasonic.de/produkte/wifi/PAN9026-wi-fi-dual-band-24_5-ghz-bt-module.html#tab3

Please note, for testing the PAN9026 802.11mc capability, you need an Access Point supporting 802.11mc.

• Ralf Hostadt Now, we can connect the PAN9026  with our Access Point supporting 802.11mc, but can't connect it with smartphone driver by Android P system.   According to our experience, we need to open PAN9026's receive answer to connect it with smartphone supporting 802.11mc.

• Does the Linux PAN9026 drivers support Monitor Mode (required for capturing packets in Wireshark)?

• Jean-Pierre Doyon 

The PAN9026 is supporting the Wireless promiscuous mode.

There are commands available to enable/disable the functionality, including the Network Monitor (netmon) Application Programming Interface (API) to support simultaneous in-channel sniffer modes for client (STA) or AP.

The sniffer mode is capturing packets on the current channel set in the 88W8977 SoC.

The functionality enables:

• Starting sniffer mode at any time, irrespective of any active BSS

• Starting BSS or associating with uAP in the presense of sniffer activity

• Changing channel and band anytime (capturing frames continues on channel currently set)

• Filtering out capture of data/management/control Rx frames

• Capturing unicast Rx frames destined to active connections in a sniffer along with other promiscuously sniffed Rx packets

• Capturing only those frames destined to the active connection

• Capturing decrypted data and management Rx frames destined to the active connection

Configuration possible over:

• iw utility

• mlanutl netmon command

• iwpriv utility

• Ralf Hostadt Thanks for the info!  Any chance it also supports raw packet injection?

Also, is there a Dev kit we can use to evaluate this product?

• Jean-Pierre Doyon 

Any chance it also supports raw packet injection?

No, PAN9026 doesn't support Monitor Mode. The full 802.11 MAC control is on the 88W8977 SoC and Firmware. As the driver don't use Kernel module mac80211, it's not possible to transmit packets in monitor mode, which is known as packet injection.

Also, is there a Dev kit we can use to evaluate this product?

All available PAN9026 kits and platforms you can find in the PAN9026 Product Specification:

https://pideu.panasonic.de/produkte/wifi/PAN9026-wi-fi-dual-band-24_5-ghz-bt-module.html#tab3

• liuzuoya 

Now, we can connect the PAN9026  with our Access Point supporting 802.11mc, but can't connect it with smartphone driver by Android P system. According to our experience, we need to open PAN9026's receive answer to connect it with smartphone supporting 802.11mc.

What does it mean, you can't connect PAN9026 with smartphone driver (Android P system)?

Means, you couldn't associate the WLAN Station of PAN9026 with the Mobile Hotspot of a smartphone running Android 9 (PIE)?

Which PAN9026 KIT/ETU you are using?

We are offering a PAN9026-IMX development platform, which consists of the PAN9026-MSD and a Wandboard WBIMX6U with i.MX6 dual processor. The Wandboard uses a Ubuntu 16.04 installed on a microSD Card. The necessarry Kernel drivers and WLAN applications for PAN9026 are pre-installed.

802.11mc capability of PAN9026

Marvell has a WiFi Location App SW package for demonstartion purpose. Currently there is no official release on the Marvell XtraNet.

The SW package consists of a Marvell Wireless Utility (MWU) and the WiFi Location application.

Before running the application it is necesarry to install the Kernel modules of 88W8977 (mlan.ko, sd8977.ko) and start the driver generating the mlan0 interface (WLAN Station) or uap0 Interface (Micro Access Point).

To run the WiFi Location application you have at first to start the MWU service. The MWU is usually a application to test features.

Afterwards the WiFi Location application will use the mlan0 or uap0 interface to measure the Round-Trip-Delay time between Transmitter (e.g. PAN9026 Station) and Receiver (e.g. external AP supporting 802.11mc). The raw data of RTD time are than stored in the mwu.log file of MWU service. These raw data can be used to apply with filter algorythm for averaging.

Of course it is necesarry to associate the Station with the AP in advance, because the measurement is only possible in a connected mode. A Special configuration of the WLAN connection is not necessarry.

The WiFi Location application is running only on one WLAN interface (DUT which measures the RTD), it is not important, if it is the uAP (uap0) or Station (mlan0) interface. The connected WLAN device (external AP or Station supporting 802.11mc) is replying automatically, once it is receiving the FTM Frames from the DUT device (PAN9026).

• Ralf Hostadt 

How can we get the WiFi Location App SW package your mentioned above?

And how can we start the driver generating the mlan0 interface (WLAN Station) or uap0 Interface (Micro Access Point), if the necessarry Kerneldrivers and WLAN applications for PAN9026 are pre-installed.

Besides, our PAN9026 KIT is ENWF9201AXEF.

• From our internal tests and according to the Marvell documentation I concluded that the PAN9026 (Marvell 88w8977) does not support the fine time measurement (FTM 802.11mc). The chips that can do FTM are Marvell 88w8987 and 88w8997). In fact these chips have in the source of the linux drivers the requires portion of the software needed to perform the FTM requests.

In addition I tried to get more informations by panasonic writing an e-mail to the address Wireless@eu.panasonic.com but I never received an answer.

G

• G Hi,sir. What's the development platform for Marvell 88W8987 or 88w8997 do you use?

•  @Ralf Hostadt  Is that right?

• BTW: I'm using the kit I described in this other thread.

But since it is based on PAN9026 it is based on 88W8977.

Regards,

G

• liuzuoya 

Please contact us through Wireless@eu.panasonic.com .

Before we can start activity on the Wi-Fi Location application (802.11mc) our Panasonic Industrial Sales will contact you concerning the project details.

Afterwards we will open a support ticket for you to share Information.

• G D 

From our internal tests and according to the Marvell documentation I concluded that the PAN9026 (Marvell 88w8977) does not support the fine time measurement (FTM 802.11mc). The chips that can do FTM are Marvell 88w8987 and 88w8997). In fact these chips have in the source of the linux drivers the requires portion of the software needed to perform the FTM requests.

The ability to perform the FTM session requiring the hardware support of 802.11mc, which is definitely supported by the Marvell chipset 88W8977 (PAN9026). Of course the chipsets 88W8987 and 88W8997 supporting 802.11mc as well.

Additionally the SoC Firmware must support the communication protocoll for FTM Request and Response Burst. This part is also supported by the SoC Firmware of 88W8977 (PAN9026).

At the end the Marvell driver must support the Ethernet ioctl handling, which is used by the Wi-Fi Location Application.

We have tested the Marvell Wireless Utility and Wi-Fi Location App successfully on PAN9026.

In addition I tried to get more informations by panasonic writing an e-mail to the address Wireless@eu.panasonic.com but I never received an answer.

Sorry for it, but we need a few days to respond on requests. We have the ambition to reply to all support requests. 

• Jean-Pierre Doyon 

We have tested the Marvell Wireless Utility and Wi-Fi Location App successfully on PAN9026.

• liuzuoya 

How can we get the WiFi Location App SW package your mentioned above?

Please contact us through Wireless@eu.panasonic.com .

And how can we start the driver generating the mlan0 interface (WLAN Station) or uap0 Interface (Micro Access Point), if the necessarry Kerneldrivers and WLAN applications for PAN9026 are pre-installed.

To generate the mlan0 and uap0 interface you need to install (e.g. insmod) the Kernel drivers (mlan.ko, sd8977.ko) on your Linux host system. The device driver will upload the necesarry SoC Firmware from the host to the PAN9026 through SDIO.

To do so you need access to the Marvell XtraNet to download the SW package containing the driver sources for 88W8977. The driver sources need to be compiled for your target platform based on your preferred Linux distribution.

If the the Kernel Drivers and wireless utilities are already pre-installed like on our PAN9026-IMX, you only need to boot the provided Ubuntu on the i.MX6 platform with the plugged-in PAN9026-MSD adapter. On the Ubuntu Desktop you can start a Shell Terminal and enter the command iwconfig or ifconfig. The mlan0 and uap0 interface will be displayed. 

Like Follow
  • Status Answered
  • 2 wk agoLast active
  • 33Replies
  • 1599Views
  • 9 Following