Which Linux driver and firmware for PAN9026 module

Which is the linux driver for PAN9026 module and where do i find the appropriate firmware binary for it?

Which linux kernel verison is supported or required?

We want to use the PAN9026 module with SDIO interface. In the mainline linux kernel i can find support only for marvell 88w8997 based products, not for the required 88w8977 (SDIO) chipset.

The same i can't find a firmware binary for 88w8977 sdio chip for the linux kernel on

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git

33replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Ralf Hostadt Yeah, I sended my email to  Wireless@eu.panasonic.com .

and look forward to your reply.

• Ralf Hostadt thanks, we are waiting for your e-mail reply.

But please note, as I wrote in the other thread here we are eager to know if the PAN9026 can be used in the two different scenarios: as an Initiator and as a Responder.

According to what we found in the marvell documentions it seems that this is not possible. Can you confirm if you tested the above configuration?

Many thanks

GD

• Ralf Hostadt Once, I can connect internet with PAN9026, and when I enter the command iwconfig or ifconfig, the mlan0 and uap0 interfacee also dispalyed.

But when i excute the pan9026.bsx showed in the attach file, I can't connect internet anymore and mlan0 and uap0 didn't display.

Where can I get the latest file for pan9026.bsx.

Many thanks!

• G D 

But please note, as I wrote in the other thread here we are eager to know if the PAN9026 can be used in the two different scenarios: as an Initiator and as a Responder.

For clarification, the Wi-Fi device used to measure the distance is called the "Initiator". The Wi-Fi device that provides the feedback is called the "Responder". The distance estimation is done based on the calculaterd path delay between the Initiator and Responder. The path delay is calculated using the Fine Timing Measurement (FTM) protocol specified by the 802.11mc specification.

Marvell provides two application notes for Wi-Fi Location Service.

The first is the Application-Note-Wifi-Location-User-Guide-MV-S302744-00 and the second one is the Application-Note-Wifi-Location-SW-API-MV-S302675-00 .

In the Wifi-Location-User-Guide you can find at 1. Introduction following statement:

This document provides the procedure to bring-up and run distance measurement on Marvell SoC's (88W8977, 88W8997, and 88W8987) using the Marvell Test Application.

What I can confirm is that the SW package release notes for patches until p182 don't show the WLAN feature WLS.

According to what we found in the marvell documentions it seems that this is not possible.

I do not know which document states that 88W8977 doesn't support 802.11mc and FTM.

Please tell me which document show that 88W8977 doesn't support FTM?

Any Wi-Fi device which supports "Initiator" should also support "Responder". The "Initiator" calculates the path delay by evaluating the FTM frames of the "Responder". For Marvell based Wi-Fi devices you need the special Wi-Fi Location App.

The "Responder" part is implemented in the Marvell SoC Firmware also for chipset 88W8977 (PAN9026).

Can you confirm if you tested the above configuration?

Yes, we have tested the PAN9026 with the SDIO adapter and mSD Adapter.

The test platform was a x86 based processor with an Ubuntu 16.04.

We used the SW package SD-WLAN-SD-BT-8977-U16-MMC-V16.68.1.p170-16.26.1.p170-C4X16544_V2-MGPL and the MWU / Wi-Fi Location App mwu_apps_3.33U-location-x86-u14-bin . This package only supporting x86 platforms.

The latest MWU / Wi-Fi Location App is the mwu_apps_3.44U-location-x86-u14 which we are currently evaluating. We are planning to compile the sources for ARM platform with Ubuntu 16.04.

• Ralf Hostadt thanks for your answer.

The first is the Application-Note-Wifi-Location-User-Guide-MV-S302744-00 and the second one is the Application-Note-Wifi-Location-SW-API-MV-S302675-00 .

In the Wifi-Location-User-Guide you can find at 1. Introduction following statement:

This document provides the procedure to bring-up and run distance measurement on Marvell SoC's (88W8977, 88W8997, and 88W8987) using the Marvell Test Application.

You are right. The documents Application-Note-Wifi-Location-User-Guide-MV-S302744-00 and  Application-Note-Wifi-Location-SW-API-MV-S302675-00 stated that the 8977 supports the FTM and this was the reason we choosen the PAN9026 module.
    But after receiving the kit we explored in deep some other documentation available on the marvell extranet and we found that the FTM is not mentioned in the firmware release note of the 8977 (see the document SD-WLAN-SD-BT-8977-U16-MMC-V16.68.1.p170-16.26.1.p170-C4X16544_V2-GPL-ReleaseNote.pdf) but is mentioned only in the firmaware release note of the 8987 (see the document SD-WLAN-SD-BT-8987-U16-MMC-W16.68.1.p174-16.26.1.p174-C4X16604-GPL-Release Notes.pdf)
    and 8997 (see the document SD-WLAN-SD-BT-8997-U16-MMC-V16.68.1.p148-16.26.1.p148-C4X16509_V4-GPL-ReleaseNotes.pdf) just search FTM in these documents.

Please tell me which document show that 88W8977 doesn't support FTM?

As I mentioned above the release note of the firmware for the 88W8977 does not explicit mention that this chip supports FTM and after checking the firmware source code we cannot find any indication that this source have something related to the FTM feature (the same analisys on the source code for the drivers of the 8987 and 8997 shown us that there is an explicit support for FTM).

The "Responder" part is implemented in the Marvell SoC Firmware also for chipset 88W8977 (PAN9026).

According to the application notes you mentioned (Application-Note-Wifi-Location-User-Guide-MV-S302744-00 and Application-Note-Wifi-Location-SW-API-MV-S302675-00), our undestanding was that the 8977 (in the same way of the 8987 and 8997) supports both Initiator and Responder.  You discovered that the 8977 supports only the "Responder" part. Sorry to ask again but can you confirm that, despite the above AN, the Initiator part is not supported by the 8977?

Lastly: since (according to the standard) to perform FTM it is non mandatory to be connected to the access point do you know if the 8977 can act as a Responder but WITHOUT connecting to the access point?

Thanks

GD

•  Ralf Hostadt I tried to get more informations by panasonic writing an e-mail to the address Wireless@eu.panasonic.com but I never received an answer.

• Ralf Hostadt Hello Sir, I have installed the Kernel drivers(mlan.ko and sd8977.ko) on my Linux host system, but i can't get the mlan0 and uap0 interface, the lists for iwconfig show  no wireless extensions (lo、sit0 and eth0), the lists for ifconfig include eth0 and lo.

And the lists for lsmod include sd8xxx, mlan, brcmfmac, brcmutil and dw_hdmi_ahb_audio.

Is there some wrong with me?

• Hi..even i was not able to figure it out. I just knew that UART and SDIO has the configuration is related to the used Linux driver package and its dedicated firmware download.

Like Follow
  • Status Answered
  • 2 wk agoLast active
  • 33Replies
  • 1599Views
  • 9 Following